Tips&Tricks for artists
Tips and tricks for applying an open call or competition
Earlier this year, Bernice launched an open call for artists. After a positive evaluation of their portfolio a studio visit was planned and for some artists a new collaboration started with the addition of their work to our rental collection.
We have received over 100 applications and have collected soms tips and tricks to make your next application a success.
- If you apply by email, which is the most convenient, introduce yourself in a few lines and mention briefly what type or art you are creating. This makes a professional first impression and the right expectations are set. Starting your email with “Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs” and ending it with “Kind regards” should go without saying.
- Add hyperlinks to your social media channels or website to your email. With a single click the reader is introduced to your oeuvre. Make sure these links lead directly to the correct webpage. Testing these links upfront is always a good idea.
- If you prefer to add your portfolio as an attachement, make sure that it opens easily and do not make the file too large. You can send up to 10 MB by email for most email programs without a problem. Wetransfer offers a good solution for very large files, but the download requires extra time and efforts for your recipient.
- For an overview of your participations in exhibitions, remember that your most recent exhibition should be on top of the list. Keep this list up to date.
- No website, you only have an Instagram profile? No problem! Make sure your artist profile only shows your work and/or artistic activities and not your private photos. Don’t forget to add the type and dimensions to each work.
- Take good quality pictures. Today’s smartphones have all you need to make high resolution images and they’re easy to crop and edit.
How can art be beneficial for an office?Our clients
5 good reasons why you should have art in your offce
Artist Pieter-Jan Martyn is more than a fine art painterFor artists Inside the studio Video
What is going on in an artist's mind? Pieter-Jan Martyn had an hypnosis to find out. A documentary about this proces gives the answer
3 office trends after the pandemic and how art works in the workplaceLongread Our clients
What's new for office spaces today? What impact has the homeoffice trend on workplaces? And what's the role of art for offices in their new setting? Read all about it here.